How to Secure a Garage Door
Rolling Codes & Safety Tips for Securing a Garage Door
Having installed overhead doors for more than half a century, Cheney Door Company has heard all the different reasons why homeowners decide to get a new garage door. One of the top considerations is about home security. A new secure garage door can improve the safety of a home by providing a stronger barrier against intruders. Newer garage doors often come with advanced security features such as remote-controlled locking mechanisms and alarms.
Not only does a modern door improve home safety, but it also increases the safety for you & your family with improved functionality. An old or malfunctioning garage door can be dangerous and inconvenient to use. A new garage door can offer better functionality and reliability, making it easier and safer to use.
Added Security of a New Garage Door
Modern garage doors come equipped with several features that provide increased home security. Here are some of the ways modern garage doors can enhance the security of your home:
- Modern garage doors are typically made from stronger materials. Material like steel or reinforced wood makes them harder to break into. This is more secure than older garage doors made from lightweight materials such as aluminum or thin wooden slats.
- Many modern garage doors have automatic locks that engage when the door is closed, preventing unauthorized entry.
- With a remote-controlled garage door opener, you can control their garage door from inside your home. This also helps reduce the risk of a break-in.
- Rolling codes are a security feature in modern garage door openers that change the code each time the door is opened or closed. This makes it much harder for burglars to hack the system and gain entry.
- Some modern garage door openers have built-in motion sensors. These sensors detect movement and automatically turn on lights, providing additional security and deterrence against intruders.
How Rolling Codes Protect Your Home
Rolling codes are also sometimes known as hopping codes or code hopping. They are a security feature in modern garage door openers that provide protection against unauthorized entry.
How do rolling codes work? They change the code each time the garage door is opened or closed. This makes it much harder for burglars to hack the system and gain access to your home.
When a remote button is pressed to open or close the garage door, the transmitter and receiver on the garage door opener communicate with each other using a specific code. In a rolling code system, the transmitter sends a unique code to the receiver that is randomly generated from a vast pool of possible codes. The receiver then compares the code sent by the transmitter to its own code and if the code matches, it will activate the garage door opener.
The system generates a new code for the next use each time you use the garage door opener. The new code is different from the previous code. It cannot be predicted by someone trying to gain access to your home. So even if a burglar intercepts the rolling code, it will not work again, as the code will have already changed.
The rolling code technology ensures that the garage door opener is secure and difficult to hack. Homeowners have peace of mind knowing that their garage and home are protected.
6 Safety Tips to Secure a Garage Door
Nearly one in ten home break-ins occur through the garage. According to the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors, nine percent of burglars use the garage as their entry point to break into a house. That is reason enough for any homeowner to want to secure their garage door. And there are several things you can do to improve the security of your garage door – even an existing, older one.
- If your garage door has windows, frost them. You can obstruct an intruder’s view into your garage. Not being able to see what valuable items you have inside may be enough to prevent them from trying to break in.
- You can choose to have an automatic garage door opener installed. Contact Cheney Door Company to learn what sort of modern garage door opener we can install on your overhead door.
- Do not leave your garage door opener inside your car. While it is convenient to clip the opener device on your vehicle’s sun visor, that can put your home’s security at risk. That is often the place that burglars check.
- If your garage door opens manually, you can install a garage door lock. A locking handle will deter a burglar who is struggling to open your garage door.
- For those with an attached garage, make sure to lock the door that is between your home and your garage. That way, even in an intruder does make their way inside your garage, they will have another barrier keeping them from accessing your home.
- And lastly, consider getting security cameras, such as motion activated ones. Or if you already have them, position one of them just outside your garage door.
Secure Garage Door Installations in Kansas
If you are worried about the security of your current overhead door or are simply read to enhance home safety with a new modern secure door, call Cheney Door Company for an installation. Our team of professional installers will give you a new secure garage door that will also look fabulous!
Contact us at one of our several locations across Kansas for a free estimate.
- Wichita: 316-262-2098
- Hutchinson: 620-669-9306
- Salina: 785-820-8366
- Garden City: 620-402-4877