How to Paint a Garage Door
A Homeowner’s Guide to DIY Garage Door Painting
Looking to Paint a Garage Door?
Are you tired of the way your garage door looks? Are you wondering if it’s possible to give it a fresh new look without having to replace it entirely?
The answer is yes, you can paint your garage door! In fact, painting your garage door is a great way to enhance the curb appeal of your home and give it a facelift without breaking the bank.
Cheney Door Company has been the locally owned company providing quality home garage door service in Kansas for half a century! Since 1971, we have been installing, repairing and providing maintenance service for overhead doors.
A professionally installed garage door can last decades. You may be ready to improve your home’s exterior before your garage door needs to be replaced. Painting it can be a great option to give your home a new look and is something homeowners can handle themselves.
Before getting out the brush, here are some garage door painting tips from Cheney Door Company to help you get started:
- Choose the Right Paint: You should select a high-quality brand designed for outdoor use and can withstand the elements. Look for one that is specifically formulated for metal or wood, depending on the material of your garage door. You can find these paints at your local hardware store.
- Prepare the Surface: Before you start, you should clean it thoroughly with soap and water. Sand it lightly to create a rough surface that the paint can adhere to. Make sure to remove any peeling or chipped paint and repair any dents or scratches.
- Protect the Surrounding Areas: Cover the driveway with drop cloths or plastic sheets to prevent any paint from dripping onto them. Also, make sure to remove any hardware or fixtures from your garage door, such as handles or hinges.
- Apply the Paint: Use a high-quality paintbrush or roller to apply it in thin, even coats. Starting at the top of the garage door, work your way down, blending the paint well as you go. Allow each coat to dry completely before applying the next one.
- Add a Sealant: Once the garage door has dried, you can add a clear sealant to protect it from the elements. This step is particularly important here in Kansas, where we can often experience harsh weather conditions.
The Right Paint for the Garage Door Material
Before you get started, make sure you use the right paint for your garage door material. Painting an aluminum garage door and a wood garage door can be quite different due to their different surface textures and characteristics.
Aluminum or Metal Garage Door:
- Clean the aluminum garage door thoroughly to remove any dirt, grease, or other contaminants that may affect the paint’s adhesion. You can use a pressure washer or a hose and a scrub brush to clean the surface.
- Use sandpaper to rough up the surface of the door slightly. This helps the paint adhere better.
- Choose a high-quality paint specifically designed for aluminum surfaces, such as an acrylic or latex-based product. These types will adhere well to the metal and provide a durable finish.
- Use a primer specifically designed for aluminum surfaces.
Wood Garage Door:
- Like with aluminum doors, cleaning is important to remove any dirt or other contaminants. Use a mild detergent and water to clean the surface and let it dry completely.
- Use sandpaper to smooth out any rough spots or imperfections in the wood surface. You should also be sure to remove any old paint or stain.
- Use a paint specifically designed for exterior wood surfaces, such as an acrylic or oil-based product. These types are durable and will protect the wood from moisture and UV damage.
- Use a primer: A primer is essential to seal the wood and ensure that the paint adheres properly.
Other Garage Door Painting Tips:
- Don’t Rush. Painting a garage door requires patience and attention to detail. Take your time and make sure you follow the proper steps, such as cleaning and preparing the surface.
- Using the right tools, such as a high-quality paintbrush or roller, is essential to achieving a smooth, even finish. Don’t skimp on tools or use old, worn-out brushes or rollers.
- Check the weather. Painting your garage door on a hot, humid day can lead to problems with it drying properly. It’s best to paint on a dry day with mild temperatures.
Can You Paint a Garage Door or Hire a Painter?
Painting your garage door can be a fun and rewarding DIY project. However, there are times when it’s best to leave it to the professionals. Here are some situations in which you should consider hiring a professional painter.
- If you’re not confident in your DIY skills, it’s best to hire a professional. A professional painter will have the skills, tools, and expertise.
- It may be difficult to paint a large garage door or a complex one with multiple panels or intricate details.
- If you don’t have much available time, a professional can save you time and hassle.
- If you want your garage door to have a perfect finish, hiring a professional painter is your best bet.
Creating the Best Curb Appeal for your Home!
Painting your garage door is a simple and affordable way to give your home a fresh new look. By following these tips, you can transform your garage door and enhance the curb appeal of your home.
If you would prefer to have a completely new garage door, call Cheney Door Company for a replacement service. A garage door installation does not take a lot of time – it might be even quicker than painting it! Our team of professional installers will give you a new door that looks gorgeous and functions perfectly!
Contact us at any of our 4 locations across Kansas for a free estimate.